Saturday, December 22, 2012

Chocolate Covered Cherry Fudge

My kids and I have had fun making some treats for neighbors and friends and this is one of the new ones we tried. I gotta say it is goooooood! I love cherries and chocolate together. I found the recipe at Karma Per Diem recently and knew I wanted to make it for Christmas plates.

I copied and pasted the recipe as it was originally, but I did some things differently. It calls to just put it into a loaf pan and there will be "some" fudge leftover, so I put it into an 11 x 7-inch pan, thinking it is bigger than a loaf pan so all the fudge would fit into it. But I could quickly tell there was too much white cherry fudge for just that pan so I also put some into a loaf pan. There was enough fudge to fill both pans well.

Also, I did chill the first layer for 6 hours before adding the second, as directed, but the milk chocolate layer kinda falls off of the white layer. So next time I will make the white layer and chill it just while I make the milk chocolate layer and then add that on top. And believe me, there will be a next time!



Chocolate Covered Cherry Fudge 
Bottom layer: White Cherry Fudge:
3 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1 (12-oz.) pkg. white chocolate chips

1 (7-oz.) jar marshmallow crème
1 t. vanilla extract

2 (approx. 10 ounces each) jars
maraschino cherries, drained, rough-chopped, and dried thoroughly


Combine sugar, butter and milk in heavy 2-1/2 quart saucepan; bring to boil, stirring constantly, until candy thermometer reaches 234°. Remove from heat, stir in chips, marshmallow crème and vanilla. Beat until blended. Gently fold in maraschino cherries. Pour into foil-lined 9″ loaf pan. Allow to cool at least six hours in refrigerator.

Top layer: Milk Chocolate Fudge:
3 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1 (12-oz.) pkg. milk chocolate chips
1 (7-oz.) jar marshmallow crème
1 t. vanilla extract


Combine sugar, butter and milk in heavy 2-1/2 quart saucepan; bring to boil, stirring constantly, until candy thermometer reaches 234°. Remove from heat, stir in chips, marshmallow crème and vanilla. Beat until blended. Remove cherry fudge from refrigerator and using a heat-proof spatula, gently pour and spread fudge (about ¼ cup at a time) on top of cherry fudge. Allow to cool at least six hours in refrigerator. Note: you will probably have leftover milk chocolate fudge unless your loaf pan is extremely tall.

2 comments: