Wednesday, December 28, 2011

26th Annual Spiritual & Religious Art of Utah

Yesterday the kids and I went to the Springville Museum of Art's 26th Annual Spiritual & Religious Art of Utah Exhibition. There were so many beautiful pieces. I had a favorite last year (and am still kicking myself for not taking a photo of it), but this year I don't think I did.
This triptych shows the atonement, crucifixion, and resurrection of Christ with just his hands. The artist is Jennifer Diane Gubler and the title is Galatians 2:20   
Mother & Child by Emily Ann Gordon
This is a very unique piece entitled Serrano de Christo is by Trevin Prince. He used resin and his own blood.
I just had to include this one just because of its title--Pondering by Catherine Darling Hostetter. Click on it to see it bigger and see the interesting old newspaper articles.
This piece Welcome to My World by Heather Barron reminds me of some paintings by my friend Elizabeth Sanchez, who I mentioned in this post.
Madonna Francesa: Remember My Son by Pedro Jose Ibañez
The light was coming in through a window hitting Christ by David G. Dean.
This one is called "Beacause of Your Faith"-Elder Holland by Matthew Grant McNaughtan. It is based off of a part in Elder Holland's talk Because of Your Faith where he describes the faithful "osteoporotic couples who trundle off to the temple at 5:00 in the morning with little suitcases now almost bigger than they are". It called my attention because I love to see older couples together, especially hand in hand. Two people who have gone through so much together, have so many memories and suffered and celebrated together, and because of their faith, stuck together through it all.

5 comments:

  1. I loved each of them!
    Thanks for sharing.

    Hope you are ready for another semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful exhibit! You always have so much to see down there in Utah - Glad you are one who takes advantage of it so you can share it here with us on your blog.
    Hope you had a Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great looking exhibit! I am glad you and the kids were able to enjoy it! Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful pictures. I went there for a reception a few weeks ago and saw some of the exhibits. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the complement.you are always sweet! I hope to run into you again soon :)

    ReplyDelete