Monday, August 3, 2009

Oat Bread

If you've read my blog much, you know that I don't do well with yeast for some reason, but I want to get better. So I tried this recipe yesterday that I found on Budget Bites. Well, I didn't have enough time to let the bread rise as much as it should have since I started it in the afternoon (and we were hungry!), but even with a shortened rise time, it turned out very tasty! We were all fans, minus Sabrina. The honey on the crust gives it a nice sweet touch, but there's still good-for-you fiber in there. I can't wait to make it again and let it rise longer and remember to use the bread flour. Oat Bread
1 c. oats
2 c. boiling water
1/3 c. warm water (to activate yeast)
2 T. yeast (preferably rapid rise yeast)
1/2 c. honey
1 T. salt
2 T. melted butter or canola/vegetable oil
1 1/2 c. wheat flour
3 c. white flour (preferably bread flour)

In mixing bowl, add oats and boiling water to soak and soften. Meanwhile, place yeast and 1/3 cup water in a small bowl to allow yeast to activate.

Once the oats have softened a cooled a little, but are still warm, add the honey, salt, butter or oil, and yeast mixture. Mix together, then add flours. Continue mixing until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Place in greased bowl. Let rise, covered, until doubled.

Spray 2 loaf pans with cooking spray and dust with oatmeal. Shape dough and place in pans. Lightly drizzle loaves with honey and then sprinkle with oats. Let rise again until the dough reaches the top of the pan.
Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 30-40 minutes or until you tap the top and it doesn't sink and that the loaf is golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for an oat(meal) bread or muffin. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete