Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Apple Cobbler Cookies

I've had this recipe in my "To-Try Cookie Recipes" file for a long time and I finally tried them last week when we bought a box of apples from a neighbor who was raising fund for a track trip. Good excuse! I left the pecans out because of my kids' allergies, but I did put pecans on a few of them for me. I had it with and without and I like it better with because it gives a nice crunchy texture to an otherwise soft cookie.
 
These are so good and I especially like the sugary crumb coating. The only problem I had is that the dough was too sticky to actually roll in the crumb coating, so it was a bit messy. I just didn't have time to stick it in the refrigerator for a bit to aid in rolling into balls. I forgot to count how many it made and the recipe, which I found at Chocolate & Chipotle , says the yield is 18. I'm not sure how many cookies that is per serving since it's more than 18 cookies, but it makes a bunch! Plenty to enjoy and to share. 
 
I do have to admit that I disobeyed the recipe since it says not to put on the cookie sheet since I didn't have any parchment paper. I sprayed it with Pam first and as long as I didn't let the cookies sit long after taking them out of the oven, they didn't stick at all.

Apple Cobbler Cookies
 
3 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
¼ t. salt
1 ½ t. cinnamon
½ c. brown sugar
½ c. white sugar
1 c. butter, softened
 2 large eggs                                    
2 t. vanilla
¼ c. apple juice
½ c. apple butter
2 c. tart apples, peeled and diced    
1 c. pecans, chooped
1 c. craisins (optional)
 
Crumb Coating Mixture:
2 ½ c. brown sugar
3 c. quick oats (not instant)
2 ½ t. cinnamon
1 c. butter, melted

Pre-heat oven to 325°. Combine flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamon, set aside. Cream butter then add the sugars and cream together until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, mix until smooth. Add apple juice & apple butter and thoroughly mix. Add flor mixture, scraping sides ½ way through. Mix in apple, pecans and craisins until just blended. (Dough will be sticky) DO NOT OVER MIX!

Crumb Coating:
Combine sugar, oats & cinnamon. Add melted butter and mix until all dry are moist.
 
Using a ice cream scoop (2.5 oz) Roll dough in the Crumb Coating and place in a sprayed muffin top pan or on a parchment lined cookie sheet (DO NOT PLACE DIRECTLY ON THE COOKIE SHEET!!!!) Bake for 18 – 20 minutes. Remove from oven to wire rack.

1 comment: