Monday, October 19, 2015

Exact Obedience, Prayer and Knee Pads

I mentioned to Alex (and I have once or twice) that it seems like he doesn't do many fun activities on his p-days and this was his response and I'm glad to know it:

I would like to disagree on the fact that I don't do anything fun; after all, I'm in Japan, a place that I had only dreamed I would go to before! That is fun in and of itself, the work is fun, the language is fun, studying is fun, making friends is fun, working with members is fun, teaching people how to come closer to Christ is fun. I don't have the resources to find tourist attractions very easily, or anything that might be a fun excursion--nor the patience to research it all in my free time--but ever time I think of it, it just isn't the same as going to those same or similar places with family (you guys). So don't worry, every day is fun, and I truly mean that. 

I asked for details on his new companion and Alex said that he is very quiet, from Okinawa (like his last companion was), loves Nintendo games, is very talented on the piano and his favorite animal is a sparrow. Funny random fact, that last one. He also said that he speaks English really well.

Alex's letter to everyone:
Warning: this episode may not be suitable for children. Viewer's discretion is advised.

We are advised to pray every time we leave our living quarters, this is important to today's message, so remember that.

I was able to transfer to my new area a lot more smoothly than last time I transferred, and I was glad for that. In the rush to get to places after we stopped by the apartment quickly, however, we kept forgetting things in the apartment and going back in and out. We prayed the first time, but by the time we finally got on our bikes and went off, we hadn't said a prayer when we truly left our living quarters. We had not gone very far when--quite surprisingly to all who were involved--I flew off my bike, tore a big hole in my pants, and my knee got scraped up really badly. The reason for my sudden flight was at first sight because I didn't take the curb at a sharp enough angle, but I am certain that had I prayed again before we left the apartment complex that things would have turned out differently. As I went through the week, I also thought about how when I was younger I would always wear knee pads--often reluctantly listening to my mother's counsel. I then wondered how different this event would have turned out had I worn knee pads; an obvious answer: my knee would have been saved from pain and a long healing process.

The delicious salmon tin foil dinner my companion made me after I crashed

I learned so much from that experience though, a few things of which I learned include how nice this city's people are. A high school girl, not knowing what else to do, came up to me and did the only thing she could: handed me a band-aid to try and help. In addition, there were two girls in a car who saw me crash who took the time to turn around, make sure I was okay, and even be willing to take me to the hospital if it was necessary (I assure you it wasn't necessary). 

My commitment to you today is to ponder whether or not your "knee pads" are on, or if you are choosing to not wear them because so few times do you ever fall off your "bike." I have included pictures at the bottom (for those who might be queasy at the sight of blood) to help you remember the consequences of not wearing them. Please do, because it's better to be safe all the time than to suffer once un necessarily. 

The scripture I've chosen to ponderize this week is: Doctrine and Covenants 61:36-37

The Kanji of the week is: 贖い pronounced "ah-gah-nigh" and means atonalso would like to disagree with Jen on the fact that I don't do anything fun; after all, I'm in Japan, a place that I had only dreamed I would go to before! That is fun in and of itself, the work is fun, the language is fun, studying is fun, making friends is fun, working with members is fun, teaching people how to come closer to Christ is fun. I don't have the resources to find tourist attractions very easily, or anything that might be a fun excursion--nor the patience to research it all in my free time--but ever time I think of it, it just isn't the same as going to those same or similar places with family (you guys). So don't worry, every day is fun, and I truly mean that. ement.

Monday was normal, and I don't have anything to say about it during the day. In the evening we went to play soccer with an investigator and his friends of the international team in Morioka. While there, I met a man who moved here from El Salvador, and had a good talk with him. Long story short, he's going to be checking out our church in the next little while (I don't know when, because I'm no longer there.

Tuesday was what I've written about up above, and caring for my wound after that.

Wednesday was great (I'm not going to write a lot about any day because of the length of this email), and lots of things happened. We had a great English class, even though there were not that many people who came. I'm looking forward to continue to work with all the students.

Thursday was good, and we got to visit with lots of people that day.

Friday was also filled with visiting people, and we had a over all good day.

Saturday was a ward barbecue, and was super fun and delicious. I got the chance to meet lots of members there, and I look forward to working with such great members.




Sunday was great as well. I got to take the sacrament and start over new again. I had fun with members and talking to others, and I felt the strength of the enabling power strongly yesterday (for me).

I hope that you all know I love you and I'm doing well. If anyone is curious, my knee is healing well and quickly, and I am still loving life! 

Love,

Elder ________

No comments:

Post a Comment