Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Lemon Orzo Chicken Soup

I changed a recipe I found at Petit Foodie just a little bit, adding chicken and celery and ended up with a bowl full of goodness! I love how fresh it tastes because of the lemon. All these flavors in one spoonful make a delicious lunch or dinner. We had it for dinner with homemade rolls and I was sad that I didn't have any leftover soup for lunch the next day. This is in my yum-yum file now!!


There was more broth, but I wanted you to be able to see what's in the broth so I didn't add a lot to this bowl.

Lemon Orzo Chicken Soup
1 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, roughly grated
2 celery stalks, chopped
7 c. chicken broth
½ c. orzo
2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
½ t. salt
¼ t. pepper
1 t. dried basil
1 t. crushed red pepper


In a large pot heat olive oil. Add in garlic and onion. Sauté until translucent.

Add in carrot and celery. Sauté for a few minutes. Pour in chicken broth and bring to boil. 

Add orzo and chicken. Cook about 10 minutes. 

Squeeze in juice of half lemon and add zest. Season with salt, pepper, basil and crushed red pepper. Let simmer until serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment