Thursday, August 28, 2008

Men of Valor by Robert L. Millet

Book Review-------- Men of Valor: The Powerful Impact of a Righteous Man by Robert L. Millet

Even though this book is written to men, specifically priesthood holders, I thought that the strong title was interesting and read it. This book is a call to all men to be better followers of Christ and to leave behind the world at this time when righteous men are so needed. It is inspiring and encouraging and has "Points to Ponder" at the end of each chapter, which make you consider how you are doing and what you can do to reach your potential. It seems that "men bashing" happens so often in our culture right now and this is a reminder to the priesthood how essential their part is in Heavenly Father's plan and how they can change the world around them by righteous living. So many great quotes from General Authorities are included (like the two below) as well as personal experiences from the author's life.

“What matters most is what lasts longest, and our families are for eternity.”
Elder M. Russell Ballard, Conference Report, October 2005, 46

“I am satisfied, my brethren, that there is enough of expertise, of knowledge, of strength, of concern in every priesthood quorum to assist the troubled members of that quorum if these resources are properly administered.”
President Gordon B. Hinckley, Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley, 489

I really enjoyed reading this marvelous book and I plan on buying it for several good men I know, but I also recommend it for women. It is a good reminder to me of what kind of man I should teach my son to be and to encourage my husband to continue to be. I think this will be one of my favorites for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment