Friday, December 19, 2008

I'm so spoiled!

On Tuesday, I ordered a new apron and some chocolate transfer sheets online and they arrived today (2 days later). I didn't even pay extra for quick shipping so I didn't expect it so soon, but it was great timing. We had our ward Christmas party tonight which was potluck so I was making food to take. I whipped up the food in my new attire. See?
(You might also notice that I had my hair colored darker. Thanks to Stacy for the cut and color! Thanks to Alex for the silly photo.)

Okay. Are you wondering what chocolate transfer sheets are? I first found out about them by seeing some beautiful candy online and wanted to make it too. It's a sheet of acetate with an edible print on it that you can transfer onto chocolate by spreading the melted chocolate on it. I found out they used transfer sheets and I couldn't find any in Utah and the only ones I found online were $15 a sheet. Then on Tuesday I was looking around again and found them lots cheaper at http://www.fancyflours.com/ so I decided to buy 2 sheets and experiment with them. I also saw the apron and it was so cute that I just "had" to get it too. (It's sold out now so apparently I got the last one. I told you I was spoiled.) Merry Christmas to me!

The instructions that came with the chocolate transfer sheets just explained how to spread melted chocolate on it, but I wanted to actually make candy so I decided to adapt the Chocolate Billionaires recipe (which I was already planning on making for the party) to make bars instead of drops. I spread melted chocolate on the transfer sheet, which was on a cookie sheet. Then I mixed up the filling and spread that on top of the cooled chocolate. Then after that set, I spread more melted chocolate on top. When it was hard, I cut it into pretty little pieces of goodness. I am totally a FAN of these transfer sheets now. And I even looked again online today and found a place in Utah that sells them so I'll be headed up there next week to take a look!!! I found my latest addiction.
Chocolate Billionaires
1 package (14 ounce) caramels
3 tablespoons water
1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup coarsely crushed crisp rice cereal
2 c. candy melts


In top of double boiler over low heat or in microwave, melt caramels with water. Remove from heat and stir in pecans and cereal. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto lightly greased waxed paper. Chill until firm. Melt candy melts and dip candies until coated. Place on wax paper and chill until set.

Besides the candy, I made Lomo Saltado for the potluck, a favorite of Elder Paredes from Bolivia who is serving in our ward. We really like it too. I didn't make it with the potatoes this time.

Lomo Saltado

Marinade:
1 1/2 tablespoons crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons canola oil

1 1/2 lbs beef tenderloin, cut into strips
2 medium red onions, cut into strips
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
Salt & pepper, to taste
1-2 jalapeño pepper, cut into strips
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
4 potatoes, peeled & cut into strips
1/2-1 teaspoon paprika
Canola oil, for frying

Make a paste by combining the garlic & salt. Whisk together the garlic paste, rice vinegar, soy sauce, canola oil, cumin, & ground black pepper.
Place the steak in one bowl & the onions in another. Divide the marinade between the 2 bowls & let set in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

Pour a small amount of oil in a wok & turn on medium heat. Once the oil is hot add the steak with marinade & cook until brown. Add the tomato & simmer for a few minutes. Add the jalapeño, cilantro, & onions with marinade to the wok, slowly stirring until well blended. Simmer for 5 more minutes.

As the ingredients are cooking in the wok, sprinkle the potatoes with paprika & fry in a separate pan. Once done add to the other ingredients.

4 comments:

  1. I purchased a chocolate in San Diego a few weeks ago that was made with the chocolate transfer sheets--it was so pretty and I've been dying to try it out. I'm glad to hear how it went and glad to know there's a place in Utah that sells them. I'll have to do a little online searching when I get some free time (after the holidays:)?). Thanks for the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute apron. Do the transfer sheets leave any weird flavors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't seem to have a flavor. It's made of cocoa butter and coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention that you peel the acetate sheet off and throw it away so you're not eating any of it.

    ReplyDelete