Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Accuser

I really miss getting to post more than once a week (or twice if I’m really lucky). I’ve had so many things to share, but no time to write them. Today I am sharing just a little bit of a topic that I was studying last Sunday. I have a file on my computer where I write topics or quotes that I have heard or thought of and want to study more in depth in the future. Sunday I chose from the file one of the topics which I heard in a talk I listened to online. The talk is called The Most Important Three Things in the World  by Brett Scharffs. The talk was about faith, hope and charity, but I chose one scripture he shared to study.


First he was talking about the Savior as our advocate. I have often thought about that role, like in this past POST. Then he talked about Satan’s opposing role.

“Perhaps less familiar is the description of Satan, who is not our advocate but is rather our accuser. Revelations 12:10 says:
And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
Isn’t this description of Satan interesting? He accuses us before God both night and day. Lucifer is relentless in his desire to accuse and convict us before God.

 
In our own lives we often hear voices that tell us that we are not good enough and that we are unworthy or even unredeemable. Sometimes, and most dangerously, these voices come from within our own heads and hearts. I believe that these voices, external and internal, are often tools and messages of the adversary. If he can convince us that we are failures, or if he can persuade us that we are good for noth¬ing, unloved, or unlovable, then he is succeed¬ing in accomplishing his work and his glory, to bring to pass the death and eternal damnation of mankind.”


I have thought of Satan as a tempter, liar, and adversary, but hadn’t noticed this title of accuser in the scriptures. First he lies to us, trying to convince us that a sin is not a big thing. He tries to get us to justify our wrong actions to ourselves, that it isn’t a big thing or even to believe that Heavenly Father will understand why we “had” to transgress the law of God.


“One of the major techniques of the devil is to cause human beings to think they are following God’s ways, when in reality they are deceived by the devil to follow other paths.” LDS Bible Dictionary-Devil 

Then after he convinces us that it isn’t a bad thing to sin, he immediately tries to convince us that it is a horrible, unforgivable thing we have done. He really is the father of all lies, trying to keep us from the Spirit and unworthy of living in our Father’s presence again one day. Not only does he “accuse [us] before our God day and night”, he also tempts us to accuse ourselves of sin and mistakes to make us feel guilty and beyond redemption. Our Heavenly Father wants us to see our mistakes too, but in order to feel Godly sorrow, repent and change. Satan accuses. The Savior can give us the strength to resist temptations, but also rescues, comforts, supports, pleads and advocates for us. There really is opposition in all things. While there will always be an accuser who wants us to be miserable, I am grateful for my Savior or wants us to have joy by coming unto him.

8 comments:

  1. You always have such great things that you post about. I'm glad you're able to stay close to the spirit to strengthen you while you are so busy. I really like the first sentence in the last paragraph. It's so true! It's wonderful that we have someone who is always willing to forgive and embrace us even after all we do wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see you were able to post again! You do always have great thoughts to share. I hve never thought of Satan as an Accuser either. Thanks for the thoughts and for sharing your testimony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful thoughts my friend. Very touching and I hadn't thought about it that way either.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!! I had never thought of this aspect of Satan before...thanks for pointing this out!!!

    Hope school is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this beautiful reminder today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a ddep observation! Thank you for this post. It's given me a lot to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for these thoughts. I've had a night of wallowing in all my shortcomings and it is humbling but refreshing to recognize the parts of my life that I've given over to the Devil. My husband calls him "the big tattle-tale." Thank the heavens for what we know to be better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You power typically ask the of male enhancement pills, ultimate, stretching sessions, stretch out,
    draw in and dry the mitt milking.

    Also visit my web site: web page

    ReplyDelete