Monday, April 30, 2012

Oatmeal Milky Way Brownies

Ever make anything with Kraft Caramel Bits? I found this recipe that looked so good, but I couldn't find these little guys anywhere. I kinda gave up looking for them, and then last week when I went to buy chocolate chips at a store where I didn't look for them, they were next to the chocolate chips. They are tiny little unwrapped caramel balls. Maybe you could even try 11 ounces of regular caramels if you can't find these. 
You melt the caramel bits in a saucepan with Milky Way candy bars and heavy cream. Oh, the delicious sugar and fat in that concoction! And that is the filling between 2 oatmeal brownie layers.
I am not a fan of brownie mixes, but didn't know how to covert it to a from-scratch recipe. Now does anyone have any ideas what I can do with the rest of the mix I didn't use in this?

These were my Finals-Are-Over! treats. Fun to make and so yummy. I was good and just had one little piece. I even waited til the day after I made them to eat it. Baby steps to healthy eating for this sugarphile. Found this dessert recipe at Live.Life.Create.Art  who found it at I Am Baker

Oatmeal Milky Way Brownies

2 c. old fashioned oats
2 c. flour
1 c. packed light brown sugar
2 1/2 sticks butter, at room temp
3/4 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 cups boxed brownie mix
1/3 c. canola oil
1 egg
1 bag (11-oz.) Kraft Caramel Bits
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Milky Way Bars
Preheat oven to 350°.

In a medium sauce pan, place two Milky Way bars, entire bag of caramels, and half cup of heavy cream. Let simmer over medium to medium low heat until fully melted. Remove from heat and let cool approximately ten minutes.

In a large bowl combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, and butter. Either use a fork to incorporate or just use hands to combine. Its ok if there are some chunks of butter, you are looking for no chunk bigger then a pea though.

Add in two cups of brownie mix, egg, and oil. Stir until just combined.

Using a prepared 9x13-inch baking dish, spread half of the oat mixture into dish and press firmly to flatten. Pour the melted Milky Way over the oat mixture. Make sure to get all the way to the corners.
Top with remaining oat mixture.
Bake for 25-30 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word!!!
    I've never seen such a delicious looking treat!
    Off to find the carmel thingys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Girl I don't know how you find the time to be an amazing Mom, and amazing student, and cook! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, do those look amazing. Just reading the ingredients list had my mouth watering. The texture must be heavenly with the oatmeal, chocolate, and caramel.

    ReplyDelete