Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sweet Parsnips

 A few weeks ago, I had to cut up a parsnip in cell biology lab to do some protein tests on it. It was the first time I had ever held a parsnip. We had to cut it up and it smelled really good---kinda carroty, but different. So I decided that I wanted to make something with them. Not the ones we tested, but ones from the store, of course. I found this easy recipe online to start with. I am always in need of side dishes and this one would go with so many main dishes.
Sweet Parsnips
¾ lb of parsnips (about 2 medium)
¾ lb of carrots
1 medium sweet onion, like a Vidalia
3-4 T. honey
Salt & Pepper
Fresh parsley, chopped

Wash, peel and chop parsnips, carrots and onion. Heat skillet on medium heat, spray with non-stick spray. Place parsnips & carrots in pan and cook 5 minutes. Then, add onion and cook until tender.

Add 2 tablespoons of honey to vegetables and toss until honey melts a bit and coats the vegetables. Add another 1-2 tablespoons of honey to taste. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with parsley.

 

2 comments:

  1. You're cooking lab experiments?
    I guess that's what cooking is a lot of the time.

    Looks good by the way.

    ReplyDelete