Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving Letter

I had a good time at my parents' house for Thanksgiving with lots of family. I even got a wonderful surprise. My son Alex told me that he wouldn't be able to write on Thanksgiving since they had a special day planned with humanitarian service at the MTC. But they finished early and he was able to send an email after all. I always love his letters, but I cried more with this one since it was unexpected. Still no photos from him so I'm using one of him this summer in Canada.

To Everyone:
Another week gone by, and another time to reflect on everything I've done and pick from it what I want to share with all of you.

This week I had the opportunity, along with 600+ others, to sing to two of the Twelve apostles. One of the songs we sang was "Nearer My God to Thee" and the other was "Come thou Fount" on Tuesday and Thursday Respectively. Every week I have the opportunity to sing a new song and learn new stories, and every week my appreciation for music grows more.... I learned so much about these two songs and the truths they contain. If you ever have a day of sadness, a day of weakness, a day of pain, a day of loneliness, listen to Hymns and pay attention to the words that are said; the song of the righteous is a prayer unto God, and that includes listening to songs of righteousness. There is so much importance in music, it matters more than most realize.

Anyway, the first Apostle that came was Elder Oaks, and he came on Tuesday. It was an amazing talk and I learned a lot from the promptings of the Spirit during it. I don't, however, have much to say pertaining to his talk right now, mostly because the other talk was given more recently and I feel more impressed to share about the Thanksgiving devotional.

For this year's Thanksgiving devotional, Brother Eagett (spelled to some extent like that), the choir director, decided that a good song to sing for Thanksgiving was "Come Thou Fount." This song has never before in the history of the MTC been sung in the choir, or at least this particular arrangement, because it's just too hard. Or so it was said. But we practiced after the Tuesday night devotional, and this morning and were able to pull off the song at a General Conference performance level after only those two days. Nothing is impossible when you dedicate it to God.

I'm running out of time, so I'll have to write more about the talk later I guess. It was nice to talk to you all again and hope you have a great Thanksgiving!
With all my love,
Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment