Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Calls

We got to Skype with Alex on Mother's Day for about an hour. It was fun to see him and he's looking good. He still doesn't like to converse much so we had to try to pull stories out of him. He did tell us that one thing that happened recently is that he was riding his bike down the road when a small bird flew right into his face. SMACK! That was quite a surprise for him.

Alex told us that he is going to spend the rest of his life as a missionary in Japan because he loves it so much. Of course, he can't do that, but I'm so glad that he's enjoying it while he's working.

He also mentioned that in the Aomori Prefecture where he lives, they have Christ's grave. How many of you have ever heard that he was buried in Japan? The local folklore says that he didn't actually die on the cross. His brother Isukiri did, when he took Jesus' place. Alex said they said he then took his brother's body to Japan where he lived for the rest of his life. When I looked up the story online, it says that Jesus took only his brother's ear with him, which is buried there next to Jesus. There is a museum there where you can pay to see the graves and buy Jesus mugs and things. Alex said most people there don't actually believe it, but the articles I read made it seem like some people really do believe it. Very interesting for a country where almost no one is Christian.

I grabbed this photo from online.
His letter this week:

This week I got to call home, and that means its been quite some time
since I've left on my mission. It was nice to talk to them, and I had
fun using my iPad to skype them.

The kanji of the week is: pronounced Nani, and means "what?"

This week's summary is going to be a bit shorter, because not all of
the week is on my electronic planner. But this is the last week that
I'll ever say that I forgot my planner, so that's good.

Monday: we went to a recycle shop, and at the end of the day we had a
meeting with all the missionaries in our district (4 elders and 3
sisters).

Tuesday: we went to go fix a tire on one of the bikes, and somehow the
extra tire got stuck in my bike tire and pedal. We had to ask a person
who lived near by to help us out. It eventually came off after we cut
through it all. We got a new tire, and fixed the bikes the rest of the
day.

Wednesday: we tried to go to a few parks, but no one was there again,
so we just housed for a while. We spent a long time traveling, so that
took most of the time before we went to English class. English class
itself was good, and I don't have anything new to add about it.

Thursday: we went to a far away park to check out a festival that a
member wanted us to go to. We had fun there, and we're able to see
lots. We also visited a member for home teaching, and we got a bunch
of snacks for a family home evening activity with the ward on
Saturday.

Friday: we took a long train ride up to Aomori city for a zone
training meeting. We had a great time there, and we're able to learn
lots. We then took another long ride back home, and studied for the
rest of the day.

Saturday: we basically only did preparation for the family home
evening event, and it was great. The sisters were great at explaining
what it was, and I had to translate for a recent convert who doesn't
know Japanese, but knows English. We had fun games and activities, and
it went well.

Sunday: we had church, and afterwards we had a pot luck with the
members. We also had a lesson with the the recent convert, and I got
to skype really quick with one of my MTC teachers. The Rest of the day
was fixing the bike the rest of the way, and studying.

I hope you all have a great week. I love you all!

Love,

Elder _______

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad he is loving it there! Keep up the good work, Elder.

    ReplyDelete