Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sleeping Beauty's Castle

This month we went to Disneyland as a family, together with my brother and his awesome family. It was my first time there since 1987. Robin and the kids had never been. When we walked in, Main Street USA looked the same as I remembered, but as I looked down the path, I could see a small castle. What was this castle? I remembered that there was a huge Sleeping Beauty’s castle that I kept telling Sabrina about, but where was it? I honestly thought there was a different castle somewhere in the park so I pulled out the map that I had grabbed on the way in. Nope. No other castles. The castle had looked so much bigger with my child’s perspective and now that I’m older (although just a little taller) I see how it really is.

So now I have decided that every time I have a problem that seems to overwhelm me, I will call it my Sleeping Beauty’s castle. I am a child of God and don’t have the same perspective and view that He does. He can see why it is important and how small the problem really is in the eternal scheme. If I remember that it only seems like a big problem because I am looking at it like a child, maybe it will help me. For years, I have liked to go relax and think up on the mountains when I can look down on the city. It helps me see how many houses and buildings there are, all full of people, all with their own problems, many with problems more challenging than mine. It helps give me perspective.

And instead of trying to rush through or around the castle (problem) to get to the fun rides, I might be able to learn what I need to while I’m “stuck” in front of it. I might remember to have joy in the journey, enjoy the colors, the flowers around it, listening to sleeping beauty sing, even while I’m stuck standing in the heat while everyone around me seems to be having fun running from ride to ride.

“First, each one of you is living a life filled with much to do. I plead with you not to let the important things in life pass you by, planning instead for that illusive and non-existent future day when you’ll have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now.”
President Thomas S. Monson, “Joy in the Journey”, 2008 BYU Women’s Conference

Mine is a silly analogy, but that’s what came to my mind. Once I thought of it, I remembered a quote from my quote file. It is much more eloquent and true.

"A pebble held close to the eye appears to be a gigantic obstacle. Cast on the ground, it is seen in perspective. Likewise, problems or trials in our lives need to be viewed in the perspective of scriptural doctrine. Otherwise they can easily overtake our vision, absorb our energy, and deprive us of the joy and beauty the Lord intends us to receive here on earth." Richard G. Scott, "Finding Joy in Life," General Conference, April 1996 (Ensign, May 1996, p. 24)

1 comment: