Friday, July 13, 2012

Grilled Skirt Steak and Pepper Sandwiches with Corn Mayonnaise

Tried this for the first time and it is soooooo good! I found the recipe at Dining with Debbie. I did a few little changes. I went to buy the baguette a couple of hours before cooking time and the store was sold out of them. So I bought this sun-dried tomato and rosemary bread instead. Wow did it have a flavor pop!

I also marinated the flat iron steak I bought in soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. I'm not always good grilling steak, but this one came out tender and delish all on its own. I couldn't keep the kids away from it while I finished up the other parts of dinner.

I put the red peppers on top of the steak and had chopped the grilled onions and added it to the corn mayonnaise. I was going to use apple juice instead of red wine vinegar, but totally forgot. So gooooood, I tell ya!


Grilled Skirt Steak and Pepper Sandwiches with Corn Mayonnaise

2/3 c. mayonnaise
1 1/2 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. chopped fresh oregano
1 T. chopped fresh basil
1 small garlic clove, pressed
6 4-inch-long baguette sections or one 1-pound loaf ciabatta, halved horizontally
2 ears of corn, husked
2 small red bell peppers, quartered lengthwise
1 large red onion, cut into 1/3-inch rounds
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut crosswise into 6-inch pieces
Olive oil (for brushing)

Prepare barbecue (high heat). Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Set aside. Pull out some of inside of bread, forming thick shells. Brush corn, peppers, onion, cut sides of bread, and steaks with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill vegetables until charred and just tender and steaks until charred and cooked to medium-rare, about 15 minutes for corn, 8 to 10 minutes for peppers, and 5 to 8 minutes for onion, turning occasionally, and 3 minutes per side for steaks. Let steaks rest 5 minutes. Grill bread, cut side down, until charred, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Cut corn from cobs; add 1 cup to bowl with mayonnaise mixture and stir to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 

Cut steaks diagonally against the grain into 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick strips. Arrange steak slices, peppers, and onion over bottom halves of bread. Spoon corn mayonnaise over. Top with bread, pressing slightly to compact.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word.....I gotta try this one....thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know my boys would love this recipe. Book marking to make latter.

    ReplyDelete