Monday, November 16, 2015

Slow and Steady


During the week, we got mail from Alex in our actual mailbox, not just our email inbox. I was glad that he wrote on some fun Japanese paper, but the pages were tiny and he wrote tiny to match so it was a bit hard to read. But it was so nice to get it.


This is just to show that the paper is smaller than my hand and he wrote that much on it.
I just mentioned to him in this past email about receiving his release date in an email and this was his response.

I can't believe that my day of "death" has already been determined! I guess with how well the church organizes things it makes sense though. I never got anything with regards to my release date, and as far as I've seen, you only really find out at the four months left mark. It really drives home the shortness of my mission.

Letter to everyone:
I would just like to start of with a testimony this week. I know that the Scriptures (the Book of Mormon, Bible, Pearl of Great Price, and Doctrine and Covenants) are the word of God. I know that God answers every prayer you sincerely send to him in Christ's name (see Doctrine and Covenants 6:14). God is our loving Heavenly Father, and wants us to be happy. As we strive to live according to the teachings of this the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we will become the happiest we could ever be. In the words of a once less-active member who came to love the church: "I used to think I was happy, but I didn’t know what real happiness was." All is in God's hands; trust him, and he will guide you, and support you in all you do.
My scripture of the week is Doctrine and Covenants 6:7 "Seek not for riches but for wisdom, and behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich." I feel like I need to remember how to know the mysteries of God, and remember the importance of wisdom, so that's why I chose this verse.
The kanji of the week is: 病気 pronounced, "bjo(rn)-key" (the parenthesized part is for understanding purposes, and isn't part of the actual pronunciation), and means sickness.
Monday, we went up to the other area's church building and had "district p-day." We decided to play card games, eat snacks, and watch Ephraim's Rescue together. I can't remember what we did in the evening.

Tuesday my companion got sick, and so all we did was stay at home all day. I used the opportunity to get a lot of reading of the scriptures in, both in English and Japanese, but mostly English. I also did some small chores around the house.
Wednesday was spent in similar manner, with the exception of English class in the evening. That was fun, and we had some new students come again. Now if only we could get them all to come at the same time! We had ten people there, and it was a party. I had fun, and love being around people.
Thrusday we went up to Izumi again for a district meeting. We had lots of good things talked about during the meeting, and I gave a "training" on "being a successful missionary." I'm sure people got something out of it, but I felt like it wasn't the best I've ever done. But that's fine, because the teacher isn't me, it's the Spirit! After the meeting, Elder H., my MTC companion's new missionary and I went back to Furukawa together on splits. We didn't have much time, and the entire night was spent trying to fix a bike, and some "behind the scene" missionary stuff like buying name tags for English class (it was the only time I remembered about it while we were at a store that had them at the same time as bike stuff). The bike is all good now, except the front light is now broken.
Friday, we had a good time with studies, but we missed the bus that we were going to take to get up to Izumi for a role-play lesson with the other two missionaries and a service project as well. I forgot the phone at the apartment anyway, so we quickly went back, got the phone, and got on the next bus up. We waited for a bit at the church for the other two to come back from the service project, and talked for a bit. They ended up being too busy for a "lesson" right then, so Elder U. and I went back to Furukawa. I think he was still a bit sick, but I can't remember what happened after that.
Saturday was once again spent indoors due to sickness (Elder U. is not terribly sick, but sick enough to have caused him to be in bed all day). I again studied a lot, and did some small house-work items.
Sunday brought the primary program in sacrament meeting. There are only two kids in primary here, but it was still a great program. The two kids recited a lot of the Articles of Faith by themselves, and also sang some good primary songs. One of them was loud when he sang, but quiet when he spoke, and one of them was quiet when he sang and loud when he spoke. It was very enjoyable. After that, we had studies, and also went to go visit a member with the branch president that we haven't seen in a few weeks (he's moved here from America a while back, apparently). We didn't catch him at home, but let a treat and a note for him at his house.
That's about all for this week! There was a lot of being in the apartment, but I am glad for the spirit I felt, and for the opportunity to learn more about my savior and the gospel while my companion was sick (I think he's better now). I hope you all have a good week! Love you all, and I will keep you in my prayers.
Love,
Elder _______
長老

No comments:

Post a Comment