Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Nippy Egg and Cheese Buns

I found this recipe somewhere when I was a newlywed. Robin always ate "2 eggs and 2 toasts" for breakfast every single morning. I thought it was boring for him to eat the same thing every day and it was boring for me to make the same thing every day. So I found a few recipes and tried them out. This was the first. He was confused about why I'd change his usual breakfast. ??? But he likes it now.

I looked for the recipe online to see if I could find where it came from. There are many copies of it out there online, but I noticed that they all call for 2 T. ketchup. Robin and I don't like ketchup much so I guess I deleted it from my copy of the recipe. You can also try putting a slice of ham on the English muffin before adding the filling. I added crushed red pepper for a bit of a kick.

Nippy Egg and Cheese Buns

2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 (4 1/2-oz.) can chopped ripe olives
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 red or green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
4 English muffins, split
2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
2 t. prepared mustard

Preheat broiler. Mix cheese, olives, red or green pepper, onions, eggs, and mustard until well combined. Arrange buttered English muffins on a baking sheet and broil until cut sides are slightly browned. Remove from oven and divide egg mixture evenly among the 8 muffin halves, spread it to edges. Broil, about 4 inches from heat, until cheese is melted and lightly browned. 3 to 5 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Looks good. Seems I have head the name before....maybe from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CHEESE ... one of the pleasures of life that I will be losing come the New Year! Looks good = (

    May

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, looks good. My husband would like that!
    Happy New Year, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete