Saturday, May 29, 2010

Another Year Older???

My birthday was last week and it is usually like any other day--no cake, no celebration, I'm lucky to get a gift. But this year was different. We do always celebrate it with my parents and siblings, but it isn't usually on my birthday.

First, my friend Elisa gave me this tres leches cake early. I had just been craving strawberries that morning. Sooo nice!
My birthday was the kids' last day of school. I took them to school, then went back a little later for Elisa's little 6th grade graduation ceremony. Here she is with her two best friends. I'm so glad she is blessed with awesome girls to hang out with!
Then I had to run to the high school to pay Alexander's marching band fees, over to the junior high to rent a trombone for the summer. Then Alexander and I picked the girls up from school and we headed back to the junior high where he had forgotten his yearbook. I took all three of them for dessert to celebrate a great year with great grades. Then we had an orthodontist appointment and back home.

I had planned on taking the kids to the movies after the orthodontist, but Alex told me that we couldn't because we had to be home by 5:00. He wouldn't tell me why. He had mentioned early in the week that he had to call his grandma (my mom) about a birthday secret so I figured it had something to do with that. I was going to cook, but the kids said, "No. You shouldn't cook on your birthday." So I thought we'd go out and grab some restuarant food after my parents' visit or whatever the secret plan was.

Sometime after 5:00 I was in the kitchen and turned around to see my parents, 2 sisters, a brother-in-law and my little niece in our house. The kids were looking out the window for them and let them in without me hearing it. Surprise! They brought dinner and dessert...and fun presents. Thanks to all of them for making my birthday special.

12 comments:

  1. happy belated birthday....last week! =) what a fun & busy-busy-busy birthday. have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your birthday was a happy one! You deserve it!!! Never forget that you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it was a good thing that we came. We wanted to let you know we love you and appreciate you! I can't believe it's been [blank number of] years since I became a mother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You totally deserve a happy birthday! I'm glad they were able to surprise you :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love surprises! I am like you though and rarely get them but when I do I soak them right up. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! How wonderful you were surrounded by people you love. Sometimes birthdays can be sad times, but I love hearing about the good ones...I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great day it turned out to be - how fun!! Happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, happy birthday!!! What a sweet surprise from the family.
    You really do have to love the occasional surprise and being spoiled.
    Sounds like your day was BUSY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! What a fun surprise.

    ReplyDelete