Thursday, September 16, 2010

Make It To the Top

As part of my Be Postive goal this year, I am going to post quotes that I find so I can come back and read them when I'm feeling down.
"Obstacles are challenges for winners and excuses for losers."
Gentlehands by M.E. Kerr

I haven't read the book. I just saw the quote and started thinking about it. We all know people who use their circumstances (sometimes completely beyond our control) as an excuse to be miserable or to be unable to rise above it. I don't want to be like that. It usually isn't easy to climb up and over the obstacle or it wouldn't be called an obstacle, but it is possible, and can make you a stronger person for the effort.

"Stop pretending you're a book and change your ending."

I guess my mind kinda made this one up. The show Numb3rs was on and one of the characters, Colby, said to David, "Stop pretending you don't give a crap and change the ending." Since I wasn't paying attention, I heard the last part and filled in the beginning myself. (But I found the actual quote online.) I gotta say I like this saying! You ever read a book that was so good until the ending? And when you read it again you wish the ending would have changed, but of course it didn't? Well, we have the chance to do that. There are always things we can control and choices we can make, despite the uncontrollable. Like the song from Carol Lynn Pearson's My Turn on Earth (which I grew up listening to on a record) says, "I'm the one who writes my own story. I decide the person I'll be."

7 comments:

  1. I love the quote your way! I also love your idea of being more positive this year, and I will join you in that effort! Thanks for being an example to us old folks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I love quotes and messages that keep me positive. That is one of the reasons I started doing a Motivational Monday. I want to be a happy positive person.

    Sometimes I get scared I'll end up like my grandmother or my mother - who feels sorry for their self and miserable all the time. I don't want to be like that - and hope I never will be.

    Life is hard, but we can do hard things - and be happy about it. I love the quote to make your own ending... I have a unique personality and probably won't end with the story book ending of a wonderful husband. But that doesn't mean that I can't have a happy ending that works great for who I am. I have faith that I will be happy and have a happy life - unique but happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie, you know how much I love quotes! I put them everywhere and they do help. I love the one that says, "Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from here and make a brand new ending". We can't change the things that have happened to us, we can only change the way we deal with them and what we will do in the future. You are amazing!! Put good thoughts all around you. You are going to do just fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love proactive approaches to life! Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thoughts from these inspirational quotes! Thanks for posting them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i totally MISS my turn on earth!!! used to be my fave cassette in the car like ALWAYS!!!!!

    p.s.
    great quotes. perfectly fitting for life lately here too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I am thankful he is willing to help with everything... Well until it comes to things like "Could you call the scout leader and ask them..." or "You have a book report due Sept 30 for Ariel" I have it? or "When you return the things I bought from Costco..." I guess now that I do have a different perspective on it I will have to grin and deal with those a little more. (Just because I don't have to worry about the other things.)

    ReplyDelete