Monday, June 27, 2011

Banana Coconut Loaf

I have been making this bread for so long that I don't even remember where I found it originally. It's a moist quick bread full of yummy bits of goodness. I add an almond glaze to the recipe and love it, but it's optional to your taste. I just take powdered sugar, a bit of almond extract extract, and enough water to make a glaze and pour it on top of the slightly cooled loaf. This last time I used cream of coconut and powdered sugar. Sorry I don't have measurements for the glaze.
Banana Coconut Loaf

1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. flaked coconut
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. walnuts, chopped
1/2 c. maraschino cherries, cut up
2 eggs
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 c. ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 t. almond extract

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.

Mix together flour, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chopped walnuts and cherries. Break eggs in a mixing bowl, and beat until light. Add sugar and melted butter. Beat well. Stir in mashed banana and extract. Add flour mixture, and stir just to combine. Spoon into greased loaf pan.

Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes, and remove from pan. Cool.


4 comments:

  1. The cherries make it look so happy and festive - Yummy!! I love coconut in baked goods too :-D
    Hope your summer is going good and that you are able to fit in a little R&R!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a tasty snack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almond glaze? I want to make this just for that glaze!!

    ReplyDelete