Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake

One question before the recipe...Why won't Google let me log in and make comments to some people's blogs when I used to be able to? When I click "post comment", I have to choose Google account and it takes me to the Google Blogger log in page. I log in with my info, but it shows me my comment as "anonymous" and then just won't let me post the comment. I can log into my blog just fine. Any bloggers have any ideas???

I made this cake for the first time to take to my brother Jared and sister-in-law Debbie's house for a family Memorial Day BBQ. I really like the orange/chocolate combination. I will probably throw in a few more chocolate chips next time just cuz I like them. I drizzled it with a simple glaze, but you don't need to. I found this pretty cake at Joy the Baker. Head over there for good recipes and gorgeous food photos.
Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake


3 1/2 c. cake flour
1 T. baking powder
3/4 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 c. unsalted butter at room temprature
2 c. sugar
4 large eggs, left at room temperature for 30 minutes
2 t. vanilla extract
2 c. sour cream
1/2 t. orange extract
Zest of 1 large orange
4 T. cocoa powder
1/2 c. chocolate chips

Put rack in the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan and set aside.
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.

Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add half of flour mixture, and mix until just blended. Add sour cream, mixing until just combined, then add remaining flour mixture and mix until smooth.

Divide the batter evenly into two bowls. In one bowl add the orange zest and orange extract and stir to combine. In the other bowl add sifted cocoa powder and chocolate chips and stir to combine.
First pour the orange batter into the buttered Bundt pan, spreading it evenly around the bottom of the pan.

Next, simply add the chocolate batter on top of the orange to cover. No swirling is necessary, although you can swirl the batters together if you like.

Bake until cake is springy to the touch and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool cake in the pan for 30 minutes. Invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely.

3 comments:

  1. Chocolate and orange is a good combo! That looks really good...especially since it's been a few nights since I've had dessert. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, a double flavored cake sounds delicious. It must be like eating those yummy chocolate oranges. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete