Thursday, June 16, 2011

Luck of the Irish Dessert Squares

I have one more exam and a final and tons of homework to finish by next Thursday so this quick break will likely be my only post until after my final. And I have so many things to do the rest of next week after finals so I don't know when I'll be able to catch up with all of you.

I found this recipe at Hersheys.com and made it for a family Memorial Day BBQ (along with Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake). It was cloudy and rainy, like most of the spring and summer days have been this year in Utah, but I pretended we needed a cool dessert. This one is very simple to throw together, although not so simple to cut into pretty pieces when it hasn't had time to be refrigerated long before you have to snap a photo and run with the food to the party.
Luck of the Irish Dessert Squares


CHOCOLATE CRUMB CRUST (recipe follows)
1 (3-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. cocoa
1/4 c. milk
5 c. frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed (about 12 oz.), divided
1/4 - 1/2 t. peppermint extract
Green food color
Mint leaves (optional)
Prepare CHOCOLATE CRUMB CRUST.

Beat cream cheese in medium bowl until fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until well blended. Add cocoa alternately with milk, beating until smooth. Gradually fold in 3 cups whipped topping; spoon mixture over crumb crust.

Stir together remaining 2 cups whipped topping, peppermint extract and food color in small bowl; spread over chocolate layer. Cover; refrigerate about 6 hours or until set. Cut into squares. Garnish with mint leaves, if desired. Cover; refrigerate leftover dessert. 6 to 9 servings.
CHOCOLATE CRUMB CRUST: Combine 1 cup graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa and 5 tablespoons melted butter or margarine in small bowl; stir until well blended. Press mixture onto bottom of 9-inch square pan.


10 comments:

  1. This looks divine to me! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious!
    I might make this for a bridal shower I'm hosting!
    Thank you.

    Good luck with all of your finals.
    I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of chocolate and mint. Yum. Good luck on your final and all you need to finish up. I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with all your school work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, good luck with school, and these look Delicious. I think I am going to try them this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY STARS! Can I come to your house and eat some??!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummmm, mint.... I wish I could have some!

    I can't believe the semester is almost over! You're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so good and refreshing!

    Good luck with your final!

    ReplyDelete