Sunday, February 16, 2014

Dark Chocolate Cherry Shortbread

I meant to post a couple of lovey-dovey recipes BEFORE Valentine's Day, but I didn't get around to it. But they make good food any time of the year. The first recipe is a shortbread cookie that I found at Your Homebased Mom. She cut them into hearts so we did too. My son Alex and my daughter Elisa made them with me.

The photo on her blog looks like she used mini chocolate chips, but the recipe just says chocolate chips so I used regular sized ones. Next time, I'll use mini since they make it easier to roll and cut. The hearts didn't completely keep their shape, but Leigh Ann's were beautiful. Cooking time depends on the size cookie cutter you used. My cookies were done in around 10 minutes, well before the recipe time. We had 1 1/2 heart cookies.

I love the combination of chocolate and cherry.
Dark Chocolate Cherry Shortbread

1/2 c. butter, cut into pieces
1 c. flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. dried cherries
1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
1/2 c. dark chocolate chips, melted
 
Heat oven to 350°. Grease a cookie sheet.
 
In a food processor fitted with metal blade, process the flour, sugar and butter until moist clumps form. Add in dried cherries and chocolate chips, pulse once or twice to combine.
 
Roll the mixture to 1/4 inch thick. Cut with cookie cutters and place on cookie sheet. Bake until light golden brown around the edges, about 15 minutes. Cool and then drizzle with melted chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment