Sunday, March 2, 2014

Go Forth

Today as I was getting ready for church, I decided to listen to a BYU devotional since it has been a while since I have. Before church, I have been listening to podcasts that go along with the Sunday School lessons since I love the scriptures, but am not at all a scriptorian and want to learn more. But I felt I needed something maybe less academic. I feel very blessed to have listened to Anthony D. Perkins of the Quorum of the Seventy. His talk was entitled "Nevertheless I Went Forth" and given February 4, 2014.

The title is from verses where Nephi is speaking about how he was commanded to move forward even though he did not know what was in store for him in the future, even the immediate future, yet he acted in faith.

 “I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. Nevertheless I went forth.”
 1 Nephi 4:6–7

I am in a very uncertain time in my life and I feel like it takes more courage than I have sometimes to just go forth, not knowing what my future holds. But I am promised, as we all are, that if we stay close to the Lord and do His will, we will be blessed.

Ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his own hands and prepared for you;  And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along.
 D&C 78:17–18

I especially appreciated this from the very end of Elder Perkins' talk.

I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
 John 10:10

 "Be confident that the Savior will fulfill His promise to lead you along to an abundant life, even when the immediate path sometimes seems uncertain."

I'm grateful for the blessings that our Heavenly Father gives us when we are living righteously that we may feel His peace and the certainty of His presence in this unstable, sometimes scary world. These words make me feel that I was just scooped up and given a big, reassuring hug from Him Who Knows All Things.



No comments:

Post a Comment