Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mix it Up!

I decided not to call my posts that have recipes "New Recipes" anymore because I want to be able to share my favorites that aren't new to me also. I know that my family and only a few friends read this blog and I've probably sent you all or most of these, but it's fun for me to post. Maybe you'll find one I didn't fill up your inbox with. Caramel Tarts *****

I love these! As you can se by the photo, I didn't make the frosting. It was just faster to drizzle it with chocolate, but I will make them with the frosting soon. I really like little bite-size desserts. 

Tart Shells: 
6 oz. cream cheese, softened 
1 c. butter, softened 
2 c. flour 

Preheat oven to 350°. Cut cream cheese and butter into flour, as for pie crust. Pinch off 48 equal pieces of dough (~3/8-1/2 ounce each). Press into ungreased mini tart pans, pressing dough up to rim to form a shell. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until slightly brown. Carefully remove shells to wire rack to cool. 

Filling: 
14-16 oz. bag of light caramels
1/2 c. evaporated milk 

Melt together in double boiler, stirring occasionally. Fill shells while mixture is still warm. Let cool completely before frosting. 

Frosting: 
4 oz. cream cheese, softened 
1/2 lb. powdered sugar (approx. 2 1/4 c.) 
1/4 c. butter, softened 
1/2 tsp. vanilla 

 Beat cream cheese and butter. Gradually add powdered sugar. Add vanilla. Beat well. Spread on top of tarts after filling has cooled (or use a pastry bag).

UTAH OPERA CAKE I found this recipe in a cookbook some years ago and it has become my favorite chocolate cake. It looks like just another chocolate cake, but it’s so good. It’s almost like brownies. My whole family started using it as the traditional birthday cake since we all love it so much. I usually make it in a 9x13-inch pan as it states in the recipe, but for a special touch, I divide the batter into two round cake pans and put the cream (recipe below) with or without the toffee between the two and just frost with the same frosting. I usually leave the nuts out because of my children's allergies. Cake: 1 c. margarine 2 c. sugar 4 T. cocoa 2 eggs 1 c. water ½ c. milk 2 c. flour 1 t. vanilla ½ t. salt ½ t. baking soda Frosting: ½ c. margarine Dash salt 4 T. cocoa 4 c. powdered sugar 1 t. vanilla 1 c. chopped nuts ½ c. milk Preheat oven to 375ยบ. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan. In a saucepan, bring to a boil the margarine, cocoa, and water. Stir constantly until margarine is melted and the cocoa mixed in. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt and sugar. Pour the hot margarine mixture into the flour mixture with the beaters going. Add the eggs, milk, soda, and vanilla extract and mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool at least 5 minutes. In a saucepan, melt the margarine, and add the cocoa, vanilla, milk and a dash of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Place the powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Pour in the hot cocoa mixture with the beaters going and blend well. Gently fold in the chopped nuts. Spread the frosting over the cake. TOFFEE CREAM FILLING 1 c. heavy cream, chilled 2 1/2 T. sifted powdered sugar 1/2 t. almond extract 1/2 t. vanilla extract 3 crushed Skor or Heath Bars Using a chilled bowl and beaters, whip the cream for a few seconds, then sprinkle on the sugar while continuing to whip until cream forms soft peaks. Add extracts and whip until almost stiff. Don't overbeat. Fold in candy bar pieces. Refrigerate until using. Use as filling between cake layers or as icing. Strawberry Cake ***1/2 I just made this last night for the first time. The girls and I made it while the guys were out. The only thing we changed was to add almond extract. I had just a tiny taste of the batter after pouring it into the pans and it tasted so good. Elisa had a taste and actually ran out of the room with the bowl. She said it was really good too. So we were expecting something wonderful to come of the oven. I tried not to add too much crushed strawberries to the glaze, but it looks like I may have. Instead of being a glaze, it was almost juice. Elisa and I tried a piece not long after we glazed it. (Sabrina stuck with fresh strawberries.) We both thought the cake was too dry. The guys came home a little later and had some. They both really like it. So I gave it another try today, thinking maybe it gets better overnight. The glaze soaked through and it did make it better. It still isn't exactly what I was hoping for though. 2 1/4 c. sifted cake flour 1/4 t. salt 2 1/2 t. baking powder 1/2 c. butter 1 1/2 c. sugar 2 eggs 1 t. vanilla 3/4 c. fresh crushed strawberries, unsweetened Strawberry Glaze: 1/2 - 3/4 c. crushed strawberries 1 c. powdered sugar 2 T. butter, melted 1/2 t. vanilla Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 2 8-inch round cake pans. Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl, combine butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat for 3 minutes. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, alternating with strawberries. Beat for two minutes. Pour batter into pans and bake for 25-30 minutes. Turn out onto wire cooling racks to cool. While cooling, make Strawberry Glaze by mixing all glaze ingredients together, using only as much strawberry as needed to make thin mixture. When cake is cool, top with Strawberry Glaze.

2 comments:

  1. Your Andes is showing in this post...all desserts! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did make a few new dinner recipes, but I didn't like them so I didn't include them. I should have put some of my old dinner recipes with the cake though. Dessert still is the best meal of the day!

    ReplyDelete