Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Chocolate Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake

I've made this a few times, but can't remember where I found the recipe. I sprinkled almonds on top of part of the cake this time because I was in the mood for nuts and they were all I had. Sometimes I sprinkle powdered sugar on top or drizzle a glaze. Next time I think I'll even add coconut to the top. Since you soak the oatmeal in the boiling water, you can't even tell there's oatmeal in the cake. It's moist and chocolatey!
Chocolate Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake
1 c. quick oats
1 3/4 c. boiling water
1 c. sugar
2 lg. eggs
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 T. baking cocoa
1 (12-oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Mix the oat and boiling water, let stand for 10 minutes.

Stir in the sugar, eggs and butter. In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa, and 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips. Mix flour mixture into liquid mixture until well combined. Pour into greased 9x13-inch pan. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over batter. Bake for 40 minutes.

1 comment: