Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Lemon Bars and Gloves

Sadly, Alex didn't send any photos this week so I'm using an old one of him. First, I have included his letter to all and then parts of his letter to me. He asked me to send some specific recipes he could make, so I sent them, but mentioned that someone told me they may not have measuring cups and spoons.  His emails came a bit later than sometimes on Sunday night and I was starting to think he might not write. So glad he did because I'm missing him.


This week has been very interesting. The first interesting part which I included in the title was when I tried to make lemon bars. I used a Japanese cookbook, and even then had some trouble with making sure I had translated it correctly. The first batch I made I accidentally mistook the word for "white sugar" for "white flour" when making the top part. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either! I made the next batch with sugar, and it ended up fine! Me and my companion took the bars to two of the less actives in our branch. 
Also this week, we had Zone Training meeting. We had to go to yamagata, a neighboring city ish, and it was lots of fun. I got to seen someone I knew from the MTC, and got to talk with my Mission president and his wife. I had so much fun! I also got to sing a special musical number in the meeting, along with the others in my district, and it went well. The music fell off the stand at the piano though, so two of the elders had to rush over and save the day!

The last thing that I want to mention that happened this week, was the following. We were waiting for a bus, and wen the bus had come in sight, I got my wallet out to get some money. I had gloves on at the time, and also had an umbrella that I was trying to fold up, and getting on the bus at the same time. Through all of it, I hadn't realized that the glove I had taken off to get the money out was no longer in my other hand. I didn't realize it until I sat down. I said a prayer in my head that I'd be able to find my glove, and trusted that God would provide. A little while late, when someone was getting on the bus, she picked up a glove from on the stairs and put it up on the dash board. I saw it, and instantly knew that it was my missing glove. I know that it was an answer to a prayer than one of Heavenly Father's children said in his moment of distress, and I know that He cares about every aspect of our lives, no matter how trivial they may seem compared to the eternities. 

I love it here, and all the people are so friendly and talk to us when they have the time. Just last night we talked to three people that we happened to run into after we picked up some garbage and went to throw it away at a store that was close by. It was a bit out of our way to go to the store, but I'm glad we did, because we had fun with them, and found out that they all liked English, and might come to our english class!
I don't have much time to write anything else! Thanks for listening to me, and for all the support you all show!
Love,
Elder _____
 
 
 
I can't say that I understand a lot of the conversation, but I have the innate gift for feeling the air of conversations; at least according to my companion. I am learning slowly, but I can't say I have much to complain about the language. I have much to learn though. I can't say that I've made any funny mistakes yet, but I'll be on the look out!
 
We have a scale here, but it's analog, not digital. We have teaspoons and tablespoons, as well as a measuring cup at the apartment, so we should be fine in that department. I'll see what I can do! Thank you so much for the recipes!
 
 The weird thing about the microwave here, is that it has an "oven" setting, and I can set the temperature in Celcius and everything. We do have a microwavable pan as well, as well as mugs, so we can use that recipe for sure

1 comment: