Thursday, January 29, 2015

Lentils and Rice

I have no idea what took me so long to post this recipe, but it's one I make pretty often and have made for years. Blogging recipes helps me to find them when I want to cook so now I don't have to go looking through my files for this.

I like it as a side dish with Lomo Saltado and other main dishes. I'm always sad if I make it and we don't have leftovers because I also like to warm the leftovers up in a skillet til it gets just a little toasted and eat it with an egg. I have made this so long that I don't remember where I found it, but I know I added the garlic and fresh salsa to the recipe, so that's optional.



Lentils and Rice

3 T. olive oil
1 medium onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 1/2 c. water
1 c. lentils
1 c. rice
1 t. salt
Pepper to taste
2 t. cumin
1/3 c. fresh salsa

Heat olive oil in saucepan, saute the onions until light brown. Add garlic and sauté. Add water to saucepan and bring water to boil. Add lentils. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. To lentils, add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.


No comments:

Post a Comment