Thursday, January 15, 2015

Prune Brownies

I have a bag of prunes so I looked for a prune brownie recipe to use some of them and found this one at A Taste of Madness. I made them while my kids were at school so they wouldn't know what was in them. They are fudgy and chocolatey and I couldn't tell from the texture or taste that there were prunes. It's nice to know that they don't have much butter and do have some fiber.

My girls were happy to smell that I had baked brownies as soon as they walked in the house. Then one asked, "What's in them?" And I said, "No black beans this time." (Tried that one HERE before and they still remember.) They were still cautious, but tried them. They still kept asking me what was in them. Then Sabrina went over to my computer and saw the recipe on one of my tabs. "I knew there was something sticky in it," she said. Elisa said, "I figured there was something different in them since you never make just plain brownies." They still ate them even after they found out. We all 3 liked them and I have more prunes so I'll be making more sometime.


Prune Brownies
1/4 c. pitted prunes
2 T. water
1/2 c. chocolate chips
2 T. butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 egg white
2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. cocoa powder

Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line an 8-inch pan with aluminum foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang. Set aside.

Place the prunes and the water in a food processor and process until smooth.

Place chocolate chips and butter in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 1 minute and mix. Keep microwaving for 15 seconds and stirring until smooth. Immediately whisk in the sugar, egg, egg white, prune puree and vanilla until smooth.
 
In a separate bowl, mix together the flours and cocoa powder. Stir in the chocolate mixture until fully incorporated.
 
Pour the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for around 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let cool completely in the pan. Using the foil, remove the brownies from the pan, and cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment