Saturday, February 21, 2015

Lava Cake Topped with Peanut Butter Cream



During the week I was trying to figure out what dessert to make. I was in the mood for peanut butter, but I have a daughter with nut allergies. So I decided to combine 2 desserts that I've been making for a long time and my daughter could just eat the cake without topping it with the cream.

You can use low-fat whipped topping and cream cheese like I always do to make a less-fat version.

Water is poured on top of the cake batter before baking, but the sauce ends up on the bottom of the cake.


I added crushed cookies on top for a crunch. My kids say I'm obsessed with having crunch in everything. Maybe I am, but I like the soft dessert better with more texture. 
Lava Cake Topped with Peanut Butter Cream

Peanut Butter Cream:
1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1/2 c. milk
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 (8-oz.) container whipped topping, thawed
 
Cake:
1 ¼ c. sugar, divided
1 c. flour
7 T. cocoa, divided
2 t. baking powder
¼ t. salt
½ c. skim milk
1/3 c. margarine, melted
1½ t. vanilla
½ c. packed light brown sugar
1¼ c. hot water

5 Oreo cookies, crushed

Peanut Butter Cream: Combine powdered sugar, peanut butter, milk and cream cheese in a large bowl. With electric mixer, beat until fluffy. Fold in whipped topping. In same bowl or in a different freezer-proof container, place in freezer for at least 4 hours. Thaw for 10 minutes before serving.
For cake: Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Stir together 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, margarine and vanilla; beat until smooth. Spread batter into ungreased 8- or 9-inch square baking pan.

Stir together remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, and remaining 4 tablespoons cocoa; sprinkle evenly over batter. Pour water over top. DO NOT STIR. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until center is almost set. Let stand 15 minutes, spoon into dessert dishes, spooning sauce from bottom of pan over top.

On top of each serving of Lava Cake, spoon Peanut Butter Cream and then sprinkle with crushed Oreo cookies.


This recipe linked at PinIt Pin Party

No comments:

Post a Comment