Thursday, July 9, 2009

Oatmeal Chocolate Fudge Bars

Fudgy chocolate middle with a bit of a crunch from the oatmeal. They're so good.

Oatmeal Chocolate Fudge Bars
Dough:
3/4 c. butter
1 c. light brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. quick-cooking oatmeal

Filling: 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Cream butter, sugar and salt in a mixer. Add flour and oatmeal, blend until it holds together. Heat milk in a pan and add chocolate chips. Use low heat and stir until the chips are melted and you have a smooth chocolate cream. Using a 9x13-inch pan, press 3/4 of the dough mixture in the pan, spreading and patting it to cover the whole surface. Pour chocolate cream over crust. Crumble last bit of dough over the chocolate, creating a third spotty layer. Bake for 30 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Valerie,
    Thanks for the sweet comment about the Poundcake picture. Taste Spotting rejected it. Funny huh. I'm trying to take better pictures, thanks to the help of a daughter who is a photographer. I'm still trying to learn to shoot in manual mode. Not easy! Your family is beautiful. I've read over your blog, and it takes me back to raising my four daughters, all who are married now. I just turned 49, and already have 4 grandkids and 2 more on the way. Hang in there, it only get better and better! It also looks like you have some wonderful recipes as well. I will be back to visit.
    Thanks again,
    Jonna
    http://getoffyourbuttandbake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie,
    I had to come back and tell you that you made my day, about the age thing. It's nice to hear those things once in a while. Next year I don't think I will celebrate my birthday! That picture is current...as I've had people ask me about it. Some days I feel OLD, and other days I still feel 20. Those beautiful children you are raising, will be gone so much sooner than you expect. Then, it seems you get to start all over again. Love it though. Thanks again, Jonna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I follow many blogs, yours still tends to be the one I send to my husband and say, "Doesn't that look good?" Thanks for sharing your time and talents (and your insights about life and the gospel, too).

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to come by and tell you I made these fudge bars this week and they were delicious :) I printed out the recipe months ago, back when you posted it. I love all the goodies you have here! There are so many I would love to try. I'm trying to not do so much baking because our waistlines really don't need it ;) but I found a good excuse this week to make these, and I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete