Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sopa de Fideos

I copied this recipe that I found on Amanda's Cookin' and kept thinking about it and craving it, even though I had never tried it. So I made this simple soup as a side dish with the Easy Fiesta Chicken Appetizer Squares. Elisa and I really liked it a lot!
I used the fideos (noodles) that you can find in the Mexican food part of the grocery store. If you don't know what they look like, you can go to Amanda's Cookin' where she has a photo of it. I forgot to snap a picture of it.
Sopa de Fideos
1 (7 oz.) package of Fideo or angel hair pasta broken into small pieces
2 T. olive oil
1 (14-oz.) can diced tomatoes
3 (14 oz.) cans chicken broth
1 small onion, chopped
1 large clove of garlic, coarsely chopped
1 T. fresh chopped cilantro
Freshly ground black pepper
Coarse salt

Combine canned tomatoes, onion and garlic in a blender. Blend until smooth.

Warm olive oil in a medium skillet and add fideo noodles. Cook over medium low heat, stirrly regularly, until all pasta noodles are golden brown. Remove from heat.

Combine tomato mixture, chicken broth and the noodles in a medium saucepan. Season with pepper and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce to medium (gentle boil) until noodles are almost tender, about 7-8 minutes. Add chopped cilantro and cook 2 more minutes or until noodles are done.
This is what the soup looked like the next day. The fideos sucked up the broth and made it a wet pasta dish that was still really delish! Maybe I'll serve it the second day for dinner and not tell Alex it was soup. Hehe Moms gotta be sneaky sometimes, but I think he would like it.

4 comments:

  1. That looks easy and very yummy! Thanks for the recipe. You find some of the best recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Fideo. But it's worth a try, especially since there's cilantro in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really good to me.
    Just catching up after having no internet for 5 days and moving (still in Kansas). You've certainly been busy in the service department!
    And could you please make it stop snowing in Utah before we move in June?! ;)

    ReplyDelete