Thursday, May 28, 2009

You Know I am Really Living Because I Have Peanut Butter on My Shirt (Okay, not right now)

Even with Sabrina's three temper tantrums yesterday and struggling until the last day of school trying to get Alex to turn homework in and understand why it's important and trying to throw together a fun birthday party for Elisa before all her friends leave on vacation, I am feeling so grateful for my family. So today I will just share a few quotes about families from my file that touch my heart.
“I don’t want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk’s lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor’s children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone’s garden. I want to be there with children’s sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”
Marjorie Pay Hinckley

"When the seas of life are stormy, a wise mariner seeks a port of peace.The family, as we have traditionally known it, is such a refuge of safety. 'The home is the basis of a righteous life and no other instrumentality can take its place or fulfill its essential functions' (in Conference Report, Oct. 1962, 72). Actually, a home is much more than a house. A house is built of lumber, brick, and stone. A home is made of love, sacrifice, and respect. A house can be a home, and a home can be a heaven when it shelters a family. When true values and basic virtues undergird the families of society, hope will conquer despair, and faith will triumph over doubt."

"Such values, when learned and lived in our families, will be as welcome rain to parched soil. Love will be engendered; loyalty to one's best self will be enhanced; and those virtues of character, integrity, and goodness will be fostered. The family must hold its preeminent place in our way of life because it's the only possible base upon which a society of responsible human beings has ever found it practicable to build for the future and maintain the values they cherish in the present."
Thomas S. Monson, "Dedication Day," Ensign, Nov. 2000, 64-65

"As parenting declines, the need for policing increases. There will always be a shortage of police if there is a shortage of effective parents! Likewise, there will not be enough prisons if there are not enough good homes."
Neal A. Maxwell, "Take Especial Care of Your Family," Ensign, May 1994, 88
"The trick is to enjoy it. Don’t wish away your days of caring for young children. This is your great day. Sometimes we get so caught up in the physical work and trivia that we forget the big picture. We forget whose children they really are. When the house is filled with children, noise and teasing and laughter you get the feeling this is forever. Before you know it they will be gone."

"We have a great responsibility to our children. Find joy in them. Don’t overschedule them or yourself. You may not be able to take them on exotic vacations. It doesn’t matter. When the day dawns bright and sunny, take an excursion to the canyon or park. When it’s cloudy and wet, read a book together or make something good to eat. Give them time to explore and learn about the feel of grass and wiggliness of worms."
Marjorie Pay Hinckley, Glimpses into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley, ed. Virginia H. Pearce (1999), 61 and 75

2 comments:

  1. I REALLY needed this post today. The last few days have been days where I most certainly felt like wishing them away but your quotes have made me re-focus my attentions to what precious little people our young children are, despite the seemingly constant selective hearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister Hinckley was definately a very wise woman!
    Congrats on having peanut butter on your shirt :D

    The pic of your kids is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete