Monday, April 6, 2009

Apple Pie Puffs

Stephanie's Kitchen posted this recipe in September, but I just found it and was excited to make it. I like the apple part of apple pie, but don’t like the crust so pies are one of the few desserts I don’t make. But I love puff pastry. This was very easy, especially with Elisa peeling the apples and helping me out. They disappeared very quickly. I did cut mine into smaller rectangles so I made 10 little puffs. There was extra apple mixture so next time I’ll cut back to around 2 cups of apple or just cut a little more apple and use both sheets of puff pastry. Some of us drizzled caramel sauce on top of the ice cream.

Apple Pie Puffs

1 sheet puff pastry from 17.3 ounce box, thawed
3 apples, diced
2 T. butter
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. granulated sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. apple pie spice
Topping:
2 T. melted butter
Sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375°. Saute apples with butter, sugars, cinnamon and apple pie spice until soft, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool. Using thawed puff pastry dough, roll out onto a floured work surface and roll dough into about a 12X18 inch rectangle. Cut into 6 equal rectangles. Scoop apple filling onto the middle of the rectangle. Fold dough over and press down on all 4 sides to seal. Repeat with all rectangles. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush tops with the melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for about 20 minutes. Top with ice cream and eat while hot.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm...those look yummy! I think I (frequently) gain weight by just looking at your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious!! I am a huge fan of anything that includes apple. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to include this recipe in our bakery. Lets see if it work - If customer love it, I am sure to let them know who is the real person behind it. Puff Pie have many varieties. Been a Baker Chef, I love to look for it.
    Puff & Pie | Puff & Pie | Puff & Pie bakery

    ReplyDelete