Thursday, April 2, 2009

Cheesy Spinach Florentine

After that last post, I decided to post a recipe that people might be more likely to try. This is easy, but tastes and looks impressive. Well, in my photo it looks pretty messy. My sister Tiffany introduced me to this recipe years ago and I was so glad. Robin doesn't care for it since it has Swiss chesse, which he doesn't like, and rice mixed in. He likes his rice on the side and not mixed in things. Alex, Elisa and I really like it though.

Cheesy Spinach Florentine

2 pkg. (12 oz. each) Stouffer’s frozen Spinach Soufflé, defrosted*
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 T. vegetable oil
2 c. cooked white rice
1 c. (4 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
¼ c. chopped onion
2 T. mustard
½ t. salt
1 c. coarse fresh breadcrumbs
2 T. margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 375º. Sauté chicken breasts in vegetable oil until both sides are golden brown. Chicken will finish cooking in the oven. Combine Spinach Soufflé, rice, milk, ½ cup Swiss cheese, onion, mustard and salt in large bowl; stir well. Spread into bottom of 9x13-inch baking pan; place chicken on top of spinach mixture.
Combine breadcrumbs, margarine and remaining Swiss cheese in small bowl; sprinkle mixture evenly over casserole. Cover casserole with foil. Bake for 25 minutes; remove cover. Continue baking for 35 to 40 minutes or until spinach mixture is set and chicken is no longer pink in the center.
*Defrost Spinach Soufflé in microwave on 50% power for 6 to 7 minutes. Note: Half the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. I had forgotten about that recipe but I sure did like it. I'll have to make it again now! Thanks for reminding me.

    Tiff :o)

    ReplyDelete