Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Trish's Blackberry Lemon Lime Bars

When I saw these on WishTrish's blog (her own creation), I knew it was something my family would like. I had never thought of putting berries in lemon squares before, but they taste as delish as they look! I think my blackberries were too small because even though I added extra blackberries to it, they still didn't look as berry-y as WishTrish's. Next time I will definitely add more.

You could always just add the berries to your favorite lemon squares recipe or try this lemon lime one. I advise you to grease your pan WELL. My bars stuck to the pan quite a bit.
Trish's Blackberry Lemon Lime Bars
For Shortbread Crust:
1/2 lb. unsalted butter, softened (1 cup)
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 c. flour
1/8 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350º. Grease well a 9x13-inch pan. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine flour and salt and add to the butter mixture just until blended. Dump dough onto well floured board and gather into a ball. Knead a few times. Flatten dough into greased pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

For Blackberry Lemon Lime Filling:
4 extra large eggs (5 large)
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. lime juice
1/2 c. lemon juice
1/3 c. flour
12 extra large blackberries, gently cut in small pieces
Lemon zest, if desired or available

While shortbread dough is baking, begin the filling. Whisk together eggs and sugar well. Add lemon and lime juices, mixing well. Add flour, and zest (if desired). Gently cut berries, but do not add to liquid. When crust is finished browning, remove from oven and immediately pour egg mixture over lemon filling. Drop berry pieces over the surface of the lemon filling. Reduce temperature to 300º and bake an additional 25-35 minutes, or until set when touched with the pad of your finger.

Let cool completely before cutting. Keep refrigerated. Before serving, dust with powdered sugar and garnish with an additional berry and mint leaves.

12 comments:

  1. Valerie! It makes me so happy when people try my recipes and let me know. Thanks so much! I hope you enjoyed them as much as we did! Yours look so delicious! Happy Wednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look YUMMY!
    My Chad loves Lemon bars.. so I will have to try them sometime!

    Let's for sure get together sometime!
    I'm not sure where you live.. but we'll have to try!
    PS: I have never received an e-mail from you.. so weird..
    Are you going in October to Bear lake? If soo.. woot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray! I've been looking for the sensation to serve guests during Conference weekend! Oh. And in London to my guests.....:) "Brillant!" they'll say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look like such a delicious twist on the traditional citrus bar. So I'll be right over to sample. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY! I think I feel the need to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great. I think sometimes lemon bars need a little something else, just for me, because I think they're TOO lemony.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter has her own spin on descriptions. I think she'd define these as yummilicious! I really want to try this recipe. I love the picture too♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, the lemon bars look so good with blackberries on top! I haven't had lemon bars in forever! Gosh, I'm craving it right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, man! Love blackberries and lemon especially together though I never thought to in lemon bars. Thanks for passing along the recipe (& idea)!

    Happy Friday, Valerie!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Valerie dear,
    These are "puckerlicious" They are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh these look great - and perfect for welcoming spring/summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been avoiding all of my favorite food blogs for months while I was on my diet. But now I'm back and these looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete