Friday, March 20, 2009

Be Happy!

I have been working hard on complaining less for about a year now. Before that I did feel like I probably complained too much, but I felt justified because of this problem or that situation. Did you ever notice how complaining about something just makes you feel worse? The more you go over in your head whatever is bothering you, the worse your mood gets. Well, at least that’s how I feel.

For example, once I started thinking about something that Robin did that hurt my feelings. It was actually like a month before that day, but I started rehashing it in my mind, justifying why I was right. I was going over and over it in my head as I was getting ready and he was sleeping. The more I was thinking about it, the madder I got at him all over again. By the time he woke up and said, “Good morning”, I was so upset that I shot him quite a look. Poor Robin just wondered what he did, but was too afraid to ask. I caught on quickly though and changed my attitude and we had a good day, but it helped me to see how much my thoughts and attitude can effect my happiness.

I am not completely free of the habit, but I have been doing much better, and I can tell you that it feels great. I have been so much happier and so much more grateful for the blessings I do have. We probably all know people who are complainers and have felt emotionally drained after being around them. I don’t want to be like that. Of course, friends are there to support you and listen to your troubles, but even the language we use when share our problems can help us remain peaceful and optimistic no matter the situation.

“If you have time to whine and complain about something then you have the time to do something about it." Anthony J. D’Angelo

“…No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse.”
Jeffrey R. Holland, “The Tongue of Angels,” Ensign, May 2007, 16–18

“You deny yourself happiness and court misery if you constantly complain and do nothing to rectify your own thoughts. Rise above the shrill clamor over rights and prerogatives and walk in the quiet dignity. . .”
Gordon B. Hinckley, Satellite broadcast fireside for husbands and wives, 29 Jan. 1984

“By and large, I have come to see that if we complain about life, it is because we are thinking only of ourselves…The most effective medicine for the sickness of self-pity is to lose ourselves in the service of others.”
Gordon B. Hinckley, "Whosoever Will Save His Life," Ensign, Aug. 1982, 5

2 comments:

  1. You always post the best quotes! And I totally agree with you about how big of an impact our decision to approach things with a negative or positive attitude makes. I think the same thing goes for gossiping. I've been working on keeping my negative opinions to myself over the last year or so and it has really improved my life - I'm so much happier and it is so much easier to appreciate the wonderful things that other people have to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this, Valerie! It is sooo true!!!

    ReplyDelete