Friday, March 27, 2009

Which Would You Rather Have?

My Ulitmate Blog Party post is after the cookie recipe below.

Do you sometimes feel like you are trying to do good things with your life and make righteous goals, but things don’t seem to go as you planned? Maybe you wonder why our Heavenly Father doesn’t help you accomplish those goals and stumbling blocks just seem to keep falling in your path? I have felt like that and this quote from C.S. Lewis says so perfectly what Heavenly Father is really doing. Our imperfect perspective makes it hard to see that palace sometimes, and it takes faith to trust Him, but we can always know that what He is doing is for our eternal good. What we have planned may be great (cottages aren't bad), but He knows our true potential with His help and grace, and we can be so much more.
“Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently he starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of—throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace.”
C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, 1960, 160

(The closest thing to a palace I could find in my photos.)

10 comments:

  1. hmm, you've got me thinking. i've always just wanted a happy, healthy home...one that was often clean but not necessarily "perfect"...perfect to me...with a yard and some trees for shade. great blog! i'm sure you're getting others pondering every day. nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is full of so much wisdom! i've really enjoyed the screwtape letters and the weight of glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great post!!

    (Thanks for visiting my blog...I will be checking yours out often, love it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your new blog template - it's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and needed to hear it! I think the house you picked as a castle is just up above where we live! There's one up here that looks just like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just gave this Lewis quote to my daughter-in-law this week! It is one of my favorites! Your pictures are precious - perfect illustrations.

    Love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  7. i need that today, thank you for the thought provoking passage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! We do love the same quotes! This one is one of my favorites:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quote! I am at a point when I really needed to hear it (seems we are having some walls torn down around here... not sure I can envision the final palatial place I can become).

    I am only about 50 or 60 pages into the Three Cups of Tea book. I agree, there are so many details I am having a hard time keeping track of everything. Greg is inspiring and his story is amazing (and I think I'm still in the preliminary introduction stuff) but I'm struggling a bit with the writing style. I will get through it though :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Quote - totally needed this today as this is one of "those days".
    This is why I love blogs you can go to someone's blog and find the words and inspiration you need to get you through a tough day!

    Thanks so much - You made my day brighter :)

    ReplyDelete