Friday, March 20, 2009

Gorditas

Since I have started posting each recipe separately, I can’t keep up with the ones I’ve made and taken photos of. It makes it seems like my blog has turned into only a food blog and it doesn’t match my title. Hopefully I’ll find ways to keep adding other types of posts too.

I just tried this one for the first time last week. I added a bit more milk than it calls for since it seemed to dry to me. (Probably my fault though.) Robin used it like a tortilla and put taco ingredients on it. I thought it was a bit too thick for that so I ate it on the side. We both really liked them. I had another later for a snack with chocolate milk and it was really good. 2 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
1 1/2 T. baking powder
4 T. vegetable shortening
2/3 c. water or milk
1/4 cup oil (for frying)


Combine flour, salt, baking powder and shortening; mix until shortening is blended. Add water; mix well. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board; knead until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Roll dough into a ball; place into a plastic bag. Separate and roll out enough dough to make six 4- to 6-inch thin, flat rounds.


In a cast iron skillet, heat oil to 375°. Place rounds in oil; cook each side 20 to 30 seconds or until light golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Fill with prepared fillings as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment