Saturday, March 21, 2009

He Used WHAT to Make That Art?

About a month ago, I took the kids to the BYU Museum of Art to see the Walter Wick exhibit and listen to the artist speak. They were so excited. You don’t know who Walter Wick is? I bet you know his work.
He does the creative work and photography for the I Spy books and several other book series. We found out a few of his secrets in his presentation and we had fun looking at the exhibit, but there were so many people there and we ran out of time so I promised them we’d go back to finish looking at it all without rushing. Friday I kept my promise when we went back to see the exhibit. If your children like I Spy, they will probably love Wick’s new puzzlebook series. They can play games from the book Can You See What I See? You can also check out videos that show how the models for the photos are made. (Also, you can click GAMES right above the game and find a lot of other games from Scholastic.)

While we returned to the museum to see the Walter Wick exhibit, another one caught Alex’s eye so we went in to see that one and it was lots of fun. That artist was Dan Steinhilber and is work is fun and unexpected. He’s a Washington-DC artist who uses common household items to make his art. This one was my favorite. I love the color and the flowing lines. I honestly wanted it for my house (even if it is much too big) when I saw it from across the room. I was quite surprised when I came up close to it. What do you think he used to make this?

It is hundreds of duck sauce packets attached to a canvas. Did you guess that? See it here? Cool, huh? Well, I thought so. It’s a pretty small exhibit and I don’t want to spoil it all for anyone who may get to see it. There are a couple of rooms with special exhibits which require electricity. That’s all I’ll say. I hope you go check it out. If you’d like to see more photos, you can go to the BYU MOA .

I’ll just show you one more photo from it. These balloons were all blown up when the exhibit first opened, but many of them are deflated. The kids really liked this one.

1 comment: