Wednesday, March 18, 2009

THE Cheesecake

I call this THE (long E sound) Cheesecake because it is my favorite cheesecake recipe. I sometimes serve it with strawberries or chocolate ganache, but it is great all by itself. The water bath really helps the cheesecake not crack. Every time I’ve made it without the water bath, it has cracked. But I’ll tell you a secret: It still tastes just as good! I always use Neufchatel cheese instead of full-fat cream cheese. Yeah, like that helps. It makes me feel better about it anyway. This was Alex's choice for his family birthday party dessert.15 graham crackers, crushed
2 T. butter, melted
4 eggs
4 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese
3/4 c. milk
1 c. sour cream
1 ½ c. sugar
1 T. vanilla
¼ c. flour

Preheat oven to 350 ยบ. Grease a 9-inch spring-form pan. Put foil around outside of pan to prevent water leaking in from water bath. In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter. Press onto bottom of spring-form pan and set aside. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in milk, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust.

Place spring-form pan in roasting pan. Pour boiling water in the roasting pan (being careful not to pour on cheesecake) and cover about ¾ of the outside of spring-form pan. (This step is optional, but helps with even baking.) Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn off oven, and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. Chill in refrigerator until serving.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Valerie!
    Thanks for saying hi on my blog! I hope you come back soon!
    Wow, these recipes look great! I'll definitely be stopping by again!

    ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man you sure know how to make a girl drool!
    I love cheesecake and had no idea about the waterbath secret.

    Looks YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete