Friday, March 6, 2009

Zucchini & Romance

What does zucchini have to do with romance? Well, nothing in this two part post. First, the recipes---When I make my menu for the week, if I have one recipe that calls for something I won’t use up completely (like a can of evaporated milk) or has a great sale price, but is perishable, I include another recipe that will use that ingredient up. This week it was zucchini.

Italian Chicken with Noodle
This is just a breaded chicken recipe with Italian noodles, but this is how the recipe was in the cookbook so I’ll include both recipes here.
Chicken:
1/3 c. unseasoned dry bread crumbs
½ t. Italian seasoning1/4 t. salt
¼ t. garlic powder
3 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 T. oil

Noodles:
8 oz. (4 cups) uncooked medium egg noodles
2 T. margarine
¼ c. green onions, sliced
1 c. zucchini, sliced
1 c. tomato, seeded & chopped
½ t. sugar
½ t. Italian seasoning
¼ t. salt
¼ t. garlic powder
½ c. mozzarella cheese, shredded

Combine bread crumbs, ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder in large plastic bag. Add chicken to bag, one piece at a time. Shake to coat. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken breasts; cook until no longer pink. Set aside.

Prepare noodles as directed on package. Rinse and drain. Set aside. In microwave-safe bowl, combine margarine and onions. Microwave on HIGH for 2-3 minutes, or until onions are tender, stirring once. Stir in remaining ingredients except for cheese. Add noodles; mix well. Microwave for 2-3 minutes. Add cheese while still hot and stir. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with chicken.

Italian Sirloin Stew
I found this recipe many years ago and still love it.
1 lb. boneless beef sirloin steak
1 lg. clove garlic, crushed
2 T. olive oil, divided
2 med. onions, chopped
1 t. dried basil
½ t. ground red pepper
1 (14 ½ -oz.) can tomatoes, undrained
2 c. beef broth
2 med. zucchini, cut into ¼-inch slices
2 t. cornstarch
2 T. water
Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)

Cut beef steaks into ¼-inch thick strips; cut each strip into 1-inch long pieces. Combine garlic with 1 tablespoon oil; stir into beef and set aside. Sauté onion in remaining oil in large saucepan 3 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and red pepper; cook and stir 1 minute. Add tomatoes, beef broth and zucchini. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Meanwhile heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef 1-2 minutes; add to sauce. Stir cornstarch dissolved in water into stew and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with grated cheese, if desired.

Low-fat Zucchini Cookies
Of course, I had to try a new zucchini dessert with all this zucchini I bought. I opted for this low-fat version, but didn’t have high hopes. I haven’t found many low-fat desserts that I really like. I just made them this morning and after “taste-testing” 3 cookies from different pans, I give them a thumbs up. They are a bit cakey, but I don’t mind that in these. I will definitely make them again and maybe add a little coconut next time. They made my sweet tooth happy.

I made it with 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup regular flour and only ¼ teaspoon cloves. The info at
Tried and Tried Again where I found the recipe says that if you make them into 40 cookies, it’s about 1 ½ WW points for anyone who uses that. (If you have read many of my recipes you can tell that I don’t!)
1 c. sugar
¼ c. butter, softened
¼ c. applesauce
1 egg
1 t. baking soda
½ t. salt
½ t. ground cloves
1 t. cinnamon
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. oatmeal
1 c. finely grated zucchini
1 c. chocolate chips
1 t. vanilla
* Optional Items: Protein powder, wheat germ, craisins, etc.

Preheat oven to 375°. Spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Cream together sugar, butter, applesauce and egg with a mixer on low speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add dry ingredients, alternating with grated zucchini. Once all ingredients are well combined, fold in chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoon full onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until cookies are barely starting to turn brown around the edges. Let cookies stand for 1-2 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring them to a wire rack for cooling. Makes 3 dozen cookies.

Now for the romance… Robin came home from work yesterday with a present for me. It was one of my favorite perfumes—Romance. How sweet! I’m wearing my new perfume with melty chocolatey zucchini cookies next to me. Pretty good life.

2 comments:

  1. How thoughtful of Robin! Zucchini doesn't get used here...it's on Adam's list of no-no's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Chicken and noodles looks so yummy to me for some reason---thanx for sharing--will have to make tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete