Thursday, November 5, 2009

Spicy-Tangy Beef Soup

I clipped this recipe out of a magazine more than a decade ago. I like the unique tangy flavor from the vegetable broth and vinegar. Do you see the steam coming off of the soup above? We had it HOT yesterday with some won tons. Yum!
Spicy-Tangy Beef Soup
3/4 lb. beef round tip steaks, 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick, cooked
1 (13 3/4 to 14 1/2-oz.) can vegetable broth
1 1/2 c. sliced mushrooms
1 c. julienned carrots
3 T. soy sauce, divided
2 T. vinegar
1/2 t. crushed red pepper
1 oz. uncooked angel hair pasta, broken up (approximately 1/4 c.)
2 T. cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 c. water
1/4 c. sliced green onions

Stack beef steaks; cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch strips. In 3-qt. saucepan, combine broth, 1 1/2 cups water, mushrooms, carrots, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, vinegar, and red pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5minutes.

Add pasta; continue simmering 5 additional minutes. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute.

Stir beef into soup. Immediately remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce and green onions. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
Sabrina is our picky eater who refuses to eat broth so she just scoops up the other ingredients. She's been doing better this year with trying new foods and actually liking some of them. One of these days maybe it will be soup.

8 comments:

  1. Valerie, this looks amazing and it sounds pretty easy. I could use a big steaming bowl of it right now. Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so interesting and like nothing I've had before. Intriguing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soup looks amazing. I'll give it a try. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comment. I have to tell you though that I know people who completely love the San Diego and Orlando SeaWorlds. It might have been the San Antonio one is the smallest and least popular. You might want to try those other two locations. It will be expensive though. Prices are higher in the other parks.
    Good luck and may your chiquita get to see dolphins in person soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good . . . I've had a hard time finding things that sounded good this week. I may have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture of your soup looks amazing. I love soups and stews for this time of year. Yum.

    Well... I am giving you a blog award!! Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Valerie, thank you so much for the award! Your sweet words really made my day. Thank you so much!!!

    BTW, I LOVE your honest things post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks and sounds delicious! Soup is one of my favorite things to eat. I need to add this recipe to my file!
    Thanks.
    Cute picture of Sabrina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Valarie..thanks for your kind visit to my blog, come any time! Love your blog too, everything looks yummy here! Julie :D

    ReplyDelete