Friday, September 11, 2009

NOW Is a Good Time

I was listening to a talk on CD that I recently got called No Time Like Now by Troy Dunn. ($3.99 at Seagull Book, you guys!) Troy was reading the beginning of John chapter 20. He emphasized part of it that I hadn’t though about before.

John 20
2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.
3 Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre.
4 So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.

Usually when we read this chapter, we talk about Jesus and the resurrection, but Troy talked about how when Mary saw that Jesus was not in the sepulchre, she didn’t say, “I’ll have to tell the apostles about this next time I see them.” She ran. And Peter and John, as soon as they heard, ran to see—so fast that it even mentions how John outran Peter. Troy asks if we respond with the same urgency when we are called to do something, whether called by the Spirit or by a leader. Do we run to visit the families each month? Do we run to do our callings?

It made me think about those questions, but also “Do I run to find Jesus?” When I am tempted, do I run away from temptation and run to Jesus or do I walk or even stay a while before reluctantly dragging my feet? When I feel discouraged or down, do I run to Jesus (prayer, scriptures…) or do I wallow in my pity? I will keep in my mind that when I am doing my calling, I am not just completing a task, I am running to Jesus. When I run to someone’s aid, I am running to Jesus.

I happened to see these great handouts/bookmarks at Emma's Place a week or so before I listened to the talk. (Check out her blog for GREAT lesson and visiting teaching handouts!)
Both the CD and the bookmarks remind me that when I am calling children’s parents to remind them of a talk, printing agendas, taking care of attendance or any other primary secretary duty, I am doing what Heavenly Father needs me to be doing. Those things that He wants me to do are really more urgent and important than many other things that occupy my time.

"Brethren and sisters, we are living in a time of urgency. We are living in a time of spiritual crisis. We are living in a time close to midnight. There is an urgency to meet the worldwide spiritual crisis through action now. It can only be accomplished by performance. Procrastination is a deadly weapon of human progress. Thank God there is no need of a shortage in the oil of preparedness. It is accumulated at will, drop by drop, in righteous living."
Marvin J. Ashton, “A Time of Urgency,” Ensign, May 1974, 35

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to be printing up some of those bookmarks to have around the house (we keep a jar of bookmarks because we're reading so many different books at once). I think we all need that subtle reminder on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete