Friday, September 18, 2009

Pretzel Crusted Caramel and Chocolate Brownie Cups

I was making treats for a few people so I wanted to try something new. This one is fun and combines sweet and salty, which I love. I have raised Elisa into a cake mix snob--she doesn't like them, like me. I might buy one mix every year or two since I just don't like them. But I decided to try this recipe as is since it is slightly faster than whipping up from-scratch batter. I didn't tell Elisa until after she ate some and asked for more. She couldn't believe I used a mix, but that didn't stop her from wanting more.

This gooey, yummy treat is Stephanie's creation. Her blog Stephanie's Kitchen is full of scrumptious recipes. Stephanie is also a contributor to Cafe Zupas where she posted this one. I made these into mini muffins. To make the caramel easier to pour, you can add a little evaporated milk or water while you are melting them.

Pretzel Crusted Caramel and Chocolate Brownie Cups
1 German Chocolate cake mix
1 egg
1/2 c. butter

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, egg and butter until smooth. Scoop batter 2/3rds full into a muffin tin sprayed with non stick spray. Scoop 1 tablespoon pretzel crumble on top of brownie batter. Pat down lightly. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the edges are set.

Pretzel Crumble:
1/4 c. butter, melted
2 T. brown sugar
1 c. crushed pretzels

1/3 bag of caramels, melted until creamy
1 c. milk chocolate chips

Immediately after taking the brownie cups out of the oven, pour caramel over the cups, and then sprinkle with chocolate chip.

5 comments:

  1. Ooooooh, those look yummy. The recipe kinda reminds me of my carmel brownies made with German chocolate cake mix, carmels and chocolate chips. But, I love the idea of prezels on them. I'm going to try these out. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my gosh Valerie - You have out done yourself this time. The look so rich and yummy I cannot stand it. They absolutly are going to ooze yummy goodness right off of your blog page.
    I am copying this recipe right now. My family is going to love it!!

    Hope you are all doing good. Have a Super Sunday!

    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness these look amazing!! Love the idea of the pretzels on top. I'll have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for stopping by my blog! These look amazing! I've gotta try them!
    Rayna

    ReplyDelete